It takes a lot of volunteers to put on this show!
We spend most of November putting up lights and setting out the displays, and then it takes a lot of people to light the candles on the event nights. We would love to have you join us. Some people have even made it a family event to volunteer together. If you might be interested in any of the jobs below, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at 913.685.3604 or email@example.com.
PLEASE NOTE: Masks are required for all guests and volunteers.
Review all volunteer opportunities, and then email Kim Alvarez, Volunteer Coordinator at the Arboretum, to volunteer for your choice of assignment.
SET UP DAYS:
We will be putting up lights and decorations on the following days in November:
- 11/9, Mon 9:00-12:00
- 11/10, Tue 9:00-3:00 (lunch is provided)
- 11/12, Thu 9:00-3:00 (bring your own lunch)
- 11/14, Mon 9:00-12:00
- 11/16, Mon 9:00-3:00 (lunch is provided)
- 11/18, Wed 9:00-3:00 (lunch is provided)
- 11/20, Fri 9:00-3:00 (lunch is provided)
- 11/23, Mon 9:00-3:00 (lunch is provided)
- 11/24, Tue 9:00-3:00 (lunch is provided)
- 11/25, Wed 9:00-12:00
The Luminary Walk will be Nov. 27 & 28, December 4, 5, 11 & 12 this year, plus new this year, an adults date night "Candlelight Stroll" on Thu, 12/3. We could use help each of those nights with the jobs below. Breaks will be given during the evening and we'll be serving a hot buffet dinner to all volunteers. This is a great way to see the Luminary Walk for free and great jobs for teens needing service hours!
- Candle Lighter 2:30-4:30 Light the candles in the luminaries and place in wire holders along the route. (Fun job for families with kids 7 or above.)
- Candle Re-Lighter 4:30-7:00 or 7:00-10:30 Patrol the route to re-light or replace candles. (Fun job for families.)
- Path Ambassadors 3:45-7:00 or 7:00-10:00 Stationed in strategic locations to point visitors toward turns in the route and give directions.
DAY AFTERS: (these jobs are great for kids 7 & above, too)
Burnt luminaries have to be collected and new ones put out on these days:
- 11/28, Sat 9:00-12:00
- 11/30, Mon 9:00-12:00
- 12/4, Fri 9:00-12:00
- 12/5, Sat 9:00-12:00
- 12/7, Mon 9:00-12:00
- 12/12, Sat 9:00-12:00
- 12/13, Mon 9:00-12:00
We are incredibly grateful for our volunteers, so each one will get a “Skip the Line” voucher at the end of their shift. This voucher will allow the volunteer and their family, coming to view the Luminary Walk on purchased tickets, to use a separate entrance when they arrive. Purchased tickets are required because this is a fund-raiser, after all!
Thank you to FNBO, Westlake ACE Hardware, and Sarin Energy Solutions for being the presenting sponsors of the 21st Annual Luminary Walk.
Putting up lights, creating displays, preparing candle holders, decorating trees, etc, during the month of November.
- Candle Lighters – 2:30-4:30
- Line Control - 4:00-7:00 or 7:00-10:00
- Candle Re-lighters – 4:30-7:00 or 7:00-10:30: Walk the route and re-light or replace candles.
- Wagon Ride Hosts – 4:00-7:00 or 7:00-9:00. Guide visitors on and off the wagons
(Saturdays and Sundays)
Enjoy a walk through the Arboretum picking up and replacing luminaries -- 9:00-12:00