Enjoy the art of plein air painting!
May 11 - June 27, 2020
In response to Covid-19 public health concerns, Stems Plein Air Paint 2020 is now an online juried event.
What will this year’s event be like?
- Because times are tight, we’ve reduced the fee to sign up for this year’s event to $25.
- Artists will plein air paint outdoors at your leisure and your level of socially distanced comfort!
- There will be no canvas stamping, no sign-in, and no painting boundaries. Just paint at your leisure! We trust that you will create your plein air paintings during the allotted time!
- Your $25 application fee allows you to submit up to three paintings with your juried show application, due no later than June 27th, 2020 (*one application per artist please)!
- After the submission deadline (June 27, 2020), the jury will review all applications and then make selections to be included in this year’s Stems Plein Air sale and exhibition!
- All juried selections will be featured for sale online, showcased on social media, and presented in an in-person exhibition at The Rice Gallery of Fine Art (future public health laws/guidelines will dictate how and when the in-person exhibition will happen, please stay tuned)!
- Juried selections will also be featured for sale in the Stems: A Garden Soirée sales tent (currently scheduled for August 8, 2020)!
- A portion of all sales will benefit Friends of Overland Park Arts, part of the Arts & Recreation Foundation of Overland Park, and its mission to expand arts opportunities and public art in Overland Park, KS.
- As always, all juried selections are eligible for cash prizes awarded by our panel of judges!
So how does it work?
- Pay the $25 fee to sign up for the event!
- Go create as many plein air paintings as you can from May 11th to June 27th, 2020!
- Submit your works (maximum 3 per artist) by the June 27th deadline via Callforentry.com.
- Await the juried selection announcements!
- If your work is selected for the show, you will be notified on when and where to drop it off!
- Judges will pick cash prize winners and all juried selections will be featured for sale both online and in-person at all applicable locations associated with this event!
- It’s that simple!
What is Plein Air Painting?
Plein air is a term derived from the French phrase "en plein air," which literally means “in the open air” and is particularly used to describe the act of painting outdoors, which was originally developed by the Barbizon School and the Impressionist movement of the late 1800s. The Impressionists were particularly interested in the influence of changing light outdoors on color. Artists work quickly to capture their subject in natural light. The term is sometimes incorrectly applied to landscapes painted in the studio which employ such a direct technique that they seem to have been done out of doors.
May 11 - June 30, 2020
Artists may choose to paint at any location.